Proverbs 21:30 (ESV): One Way – Gods Way
30 No wisdom, no understanding, no counsel
can avail against the Lord.
I think this proverb is rather self explanatory, Solomon did not mince any words here. There is ultimately “One Way” and that is “Gods Way.” Wisdom, intelligence, “street-smarts”, wealth, power, position, who you know or collaborate with, NONE CAN STAND AGAINST GODS SOVEREIGN WILL.
What we are ultimately talking about here is mans ARROGANCE in his flesh; An arrogance which has killed most of the extinct cultures across space and time. Why? Because in our flesh we are DISEASED, and WE WANT WHAT WE WANT. Because we are in the flesh and what we want is more often than not contrary to God and what HE wants. However, our arrogance tells us that we can circumvent ANY creators will for our lives and POOF! Just like that, Gods provision is removed and entire societies and cultures fall away as the VICTORY ALWAYS belongs to the Lord.
I am sure that you notice this arrogance growing around us everyday. Governments around the globe are overflowing with it. Within the church, leadership is often swimming in it. And in our “Christian” homes, arrogance is in no shortage. But this is nothing new. Paul addressed it in his first letter to the church in Corinth (1 Cor. 3:18-23), which in the first century was being torn apart by divisiveness with arrogance at the root:
18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” 20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21 So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23 and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.
These are tough but important words delivered through Paul. The Corinthians needed to be reminded that they ultimately belong to God. Not to the governmental heads of state, not to church administrations, nor the “pastor” who baptized them, for they were all only fulfilling Gods will and purposes. The situation is no different today – boasting in man is futile, therefore boast only in God.
How then do we as followers of Christ, covered by Grace, living in salvation align “our way” with the Lords “ONLY WAY?”
- Rest in the great comfort that all governments of man, church, and home are subject to God, who rules them according to His will, purpose, and pleasure. NOTHING CAN STAND AGAINST HIS WILL!
- Pray often for our governmental leaders (1 Tim. 2:1-2). If they do not know the Lord, pray that they come to know Him and enter into a relationship with Him. As followers of Christ, pray that they remain humble in heart, forever obedient to the will of God and not arrogance of the flesh.
- Pray often for our pastors/preachers/ministers/ and our individual church elders/administration. Pray that their focus stays firmly on Jesus, not their position, the ebbs and flows of congregational attendance, the number of zeros in the bank balance, or the direction of the congregation down the street. Pray that they remain humble, obedient servants to Christ – though they may plow, plant, and water; the growth, the harvest, and the field itself, all belong to God – We ALL BELONG TO GOD.
- Abandon any remaining personal “lordship” and practice obedient “stewardship.” Our time, talent, and treasure are “all on loan from God.” All things are given by God for for the benefit of His people.
- We need to continuously nurture our relationship with the Lord through fellowship, prayer, and His Word. Seek and discover all His ways so that we may more easily understand the “ONE WAY” – “Gods Way.”